Swimming is one of the most popular sport choices in DSI. Without swimming, Ireland would not have won so many medals. Since 1975, Ireland Deaf Swimmers have in fact won 59 gold medals, 46 silver medals and 36 bronze medals at European & World Championships and Deaflympics!
Irish Deaf swimmers have broken 17 World Records & 26 European Records since. They still hold some records now;
- 50m Backstroke; 28.10, 24th June 2002 (European LC)
- 100m Backstroke; 59.45, 24th June 1998 (World & European LC)
- 50m Freestyle; 23.64, 5th December 2009 (World & European SC)
- 100m Freestyle; 51.22, 6th December 2009 (World & European SC)
- 200m Freestyle; 1.52.10, 5th December 2009 (European SC)
Note: SC = Short Course; LC = Long Course
At present, we offer competitions for:
- Annual National Deaf Swimming School Gala
- Deaflympics Game in Sofia, Bulgaria in 2013 (TBC)
- European Deaf Swimming Championship in 2014
- Youth World Deaf Swimming Championship in 2014
- World Deaf Swimming Championship in 2015
- 23rd Summer Deaflympics Game in Ankara, Turkey in 2017
We offer programmes to provide players with Deaf & Hard of Hearing the opportunities to participate in Swimming. Our aim is to develop more regional based programmes; however the success of this is dependent on the recruitment of new players.
At the moment we offer 1 programme, we have a boys & girls children swimming development squad which trains on every Thursday in St. Joseph’s School for Deaf Boys, Navan Road, Dublin 9 from 4 to 5.30pm.
Our success is based on increasing our player numbers so we would love to hear from all interested players. Please contact any of the people listed below;
|Administrator / Sports Development Officer|
|Text:||+353 (0) 834588004|